Getting Your Honda Road Trip Ready
Blue skies & warm weather are a good enough reason to load up your Honda and hit the road. Before you get your trip started, there are a few things to double check on your vehicle to make sure you get to your destination safely. Vehicle care is necessary year-round, especially before a road trip, and Freedom Honda is here to make sure you’re ready to go before you hit the road!
Check Your Fluids
Fluids are the lifeline of any vehicle. Consider how far you’ve driven since your last fluid change and how far you plan on driving for your trip. This will help you decide what needs attention.
- Oil: Oil should be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Once your maintenance required light kicks on make sure to get a service appointment scheduled with us right away!
- Brake Fluid: If you ever notice that the pedal feels spongy or has extra travel, the fluid may be contaminated. Flush it every 36,000 miles.
- Power Steering Fluid: This fluid makes turning the wheel easy at any speed but can also become contaminated and make your steering wheel less responsive.
Check Those Tires
Tires are paramount to safety, comfort, and fuel efficiency, so it’s important to check their conditions.
- Air Pressure: Incorrect air pressure causes tires to wear unevenly, gas mileage to decrease, become less compliant, and need replacement more often. Check tire pressure every 1,000 miles.
- Rotation: Variations in suspension calibration, weight balance, and road conditions wear tires out at different rates. Because of this, it’s important to periodically rotate tires between different locations on your car. A tire rotation should be completed 5,000 to 8,000 miles.
Check for General Maintenance
Most vehicles have numerous components that need maintenance to stay in good shape, so make sure to check all these items before hitting the road.
- Brake Pads: Brake pads provide the friction needed to slow and stop your vehicle. Replacing the brake pads should fix any uncommon noises and, more importantly, make your road trip safer. Brakes pads can last anywhere from 25,000 to 70,000 miles.
- Belts and Hoes: Looking under your hood can be intimidating but it is important to familiarize yourself with what’s under the hood of your vehicle! Give the belts a squeeze to make sure they’re tight with very little slack. Check the hoses for any fluid leakage, especially near joining points.
- Air Filters: With dust, debris, and bugs everywhere, the road is a dirty place. Clean air filters regularly to prevent gunk from entering the engine and interior. Clogged air filters potentially impact engine performance, fuel economy, and interior air quality. These should be replaced about every 12,000 miles.
Vehicle care can be a pain sometimes but taking care of it prevents any adventure from being ruined. Your vehicle works hard on road trips, so show it the TLC it needs. Schedule your next service visit at Freedom Honda today and we’ll help you get your vehicle in tip-top road trip shape!